Help us get started on our outdoor classroom space by submitting your design for our garden pergola. The creator of the winning design will receive a $25 movie certificate, a $15 gift card to Barnes & Noble, a lunchtime (and after lunch) movie party for the winner and 5 friends, and a front of the line pass for the rest of the year.
Competition Deadline: Monday, May 1, 11:59 PM
The purpose of this competition is to create a structure that we can proudly display as DATA student designed. Your design needs to be aesthetically pleasing (nice looking) and structurally sound (will be safe and hold up to wind and weather). It must be your own work. You can work with a partner, but you'll have to split the prizes.
Please review the competition guidelines below. If you have questions about the rules, please ask Ms. Johnson. Use the Submission Checklist to be sure you have followed the guidelines and included the required components.
Pergola Specs - Your design must be for a structure that fits the requirements below.
- 12’ wide x 8’ deep x 8’ high (design must be to scale)
- Has an open roof with supporting beams
- Has at least 4 supporting posts
- Has storage space built in in the form of a a locking cupboard or cabinet
- Has a large vertical surface (minimum 4’ x 3’) for a chalkboard (south facing)
- Can be built for approximately $1000 (submit cost list based on materials)
- Design must be to scale
- Must include a list of materials and their dimensions. Example: 4 - 6 x 6 posts, 8 - 2 x 4 planks
- Must be submitted as a technical drawing using SketchUp or another CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) application.
- You may submit a hand-drawn design with approval from Ms. Johnson
The pergola will be built at the east end of the garden area (see pictures below)
View the videos below to learn how to get your design idea into SketchUp.